India, a country full of cultures and traditions, is considered a perfect place for travel freaks. The reason is India has so much to offer in terms of wildlife, nature, historic monuments, and much more. That’s why a large number of foreign visitors are coming to India over the years. Among them, there was a large proportion of US citizens that visited the country last year. Another reason for the increase in tourism is the facility of India e-Visaintroduced by the Indian government.
Applying for a tourist visa India is very simple and the process is entirely online. For U.S citizens as well, they can apply for the electronic visa by applying online and to know further about the process, go through the guide provided below.
For the nationals of all the countries except Nepal and Bhutan, it is mandatory to have a valid passport to enter India. In case, if thevisit to India is for the purpose of tourism or business related matters, it is better to apply for an Indian visa online.
Note: As applicable earlier, India does not provide visa on arrival to foreign citizens. It is complusory to apply and obtain a valid visa before entering India. As a US citizen, if you are arriving in India without a valid visa, entry will be denied to you.
The online visa can be applied for under the following categories:
- e-Tourist Visa
- e-Business Visa
- e-Conference Visa
- e-Medical Visa
- e-Medical Attendant Visa
Documents Requirement for USA Citizens
- A scanned copy of the first and last page of American passport in the PDF format.
- A passport size photograph having a white background in the JPEG format.
- A medical letter or business card copy for e-Medical and e-Business visa respectively.
Tip- Make sure to keep details of your parents’ passport, work-related information and passport details of your spouse handy so as to avoid any inconvenience.
Process to apply for Indian online visa
The application process for obtaining visa to India by USA citizens is rather straight-forward as explained below:
- Begin by carefully filling the online application form given on the official Indian website.
- Next, attach the required documents as per the e-Visa type you are applying for.
- Verify the application form thoroughly and make sure the information entered by you stands valid in all areas.
- After this, you have to pay the India visa fees prescribed for USA citizens.
- Once your form gets verified and approved, you can expect to receive the visa within 4-7 days.
Duration of Stay
e-Tourist visas and e-Business visas are valid for one year from the date of grant of Electronic Travel Authorization. Multiple entries are allowed but that doesn’t mean visitors can stay in India continuously for a year. Generally, the visitors can stay continuouslyfor 90 days, except for the US, UK, Japan, and Canada as the nativesof these countries can stay for notmore than 180 days during each visit.
What are the entry and exit points for the US citizens holding online visa?
Airports:Amritsar, Ahmedabad,Bhubaneshwar, Bagdogra,Bangalore, Chennai, Cochin, Calicut, Chandigarh,Coimbatore, Delhi, Gaya, Goa, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Madurai, Mumbai, Mangalore,Nagpur, Pune, Port Blair, Trivandrum, Tiruchirappalli, Varanasi, Visakhapatnam.
Seaports- Chennai, Cochin, Goa, Mangalore, Mumbai.
Airports:Amritsar,Ahmedabad, Bagdogra, Bengaluru, Bhubaneshwar, Calicut, Chandigarh, Chennai, Cochin, Coimbatore, Delhi, Goa, Guwahati,Gaya, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kannur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mangalore, Madurai,Mumbai, Nagpur, Patna, Pune, Port Blair, Surat, Srinagar,Tiruchirapalli, Trivandrum,Tirupati, Varanasi, Vijaiwada, Vishakhapatnam.
Seaports-Alang, Bedi, Bunder, Bhavnagar, Calicut, Chennai, Cochin, Cuddalore, Kakinada, Kandla, Kolkata, Mandvi, Mormagoa, Harbour, Mumbai Seaport, Nagapattinum, Nhava ShevamParadeep, Porbandar, Port Blair, Tuticorin, Vishakapatnam, New Mangalore, Vizhinjam, Agati and Minicoy Island Lakshdwip UT, Vallarpadam, Mundra, Krishnapatnam, Dhubri, Pandu, Nagaon, Karimganj, Kattupalli
- A passport is required with two blank pages and six-months valid.
- An e-visa cannot be converted into a normal one anytime.
- The traveler has to bear all the traveling expenses as well as the expenses made during the period of stay.
- You have to return after the stay period of 180 days (for USA citizens) is over.
- Pakistani- origin USA residents are not allowed to apply for e-Visa India.
So before packing your bag for India, make sure you have made all the arrangements in advance and carry your e-visa along with you.